Master of Arts in Museum Studies - University of Leicester, UK & HKU SPACE
Master of Arts in Museum Studies
Study Mode: Part-time
Start Date: Oct 2017
Duration: 24 months
Course Fee: £19,580 per programme
Application Fee: HK$200
Application Deadline: 1 Sep 2017
This programme aims to provide a distinct and high quality course for graduates who want to develop a career in the museum and galleries sector, based on leading museum studies research and practice.
What is the course about?
- Based on leading museum studies research and practice;
- Designed by experts in the field, who have been involved in expanding the academic discipline of museum studies over many years;
- Covers the major theoretical, methodological and professional themes at the forefront of contemporary museum studies.
- Distance learning mode of delivery enables you to creatively and thoughtfully apply the knowledge gained from the course within specific professional contexts.
- Explore the contested purposes of museums in society, as well as the nature of the objects, collections, and communities that have underpinned their development, and shape their ethical challenges as well as their future possibilities.
- Consider the way museums communicate, the way they are staffed and marketed, the way exhibitions and learning programmes are developed and designed, the way visitors experience and shape museums, etc.
- Develop critical skills in preventive conservation and the care of collections.
Who is the course for?
- Will give you the entry qualification for a career in museums and galleries.
- Will provide you with the opportunity to develop new knowledge and skills and advance your career.
- The Masters programme will also give you the underpinning knowledge to register for a higher degree in museum studies.
- The distance learning course offers the same subject coverage and leads to the same qualification as the campus-based course.
- You will also be guided through the course by individuals who are working within the museum and gallery sector in Hong Kong and in the UK, helping you strengthen your links with the profession internationally.
- By registering on the programme with the University of Hong Kong you will have the opportunity to attend an annual week of face to face teaching at the University of Hong Kong.
- Lecturers from the University of Leicester
Non-Local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance
This is exempted course under the Non-local Higher and Professional Education (Regulation) Ordinance. It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which these courses may lead.